Saturday, December 16, 2006

Train wreck exposes nature's beauty

There was a train derailment 4-5 miles from my house…

Details can be found here: Derailed train spurs evacuation

Luckily, a bad situation turned out well and nothing dangerous leaked from the derailed cars.

Watching the pictures and video on the news.. I was amazed by the beauty and majesty of the area at the derailment. It is a very short walk from an area I know well from the daily drive to work (Marriottsville road). Made me question what other natural wonders are just outside our doors and rarely see. I’m going to make a point to explore more of our community's less traveled and spend more time in nature’s beauty.

2 comments:

locke said...

Glad everything turned out ok. Could have been a bad situation.

Have done some hiking around the Patapsco River, very beautiful area.

greatnews lane said...

I went for a hike down the trail off of Henryton Road, past the derailment, and further into Patapsco Park. It is a beautiful area, but one that you don't just stumble upon.

The cars were still there, pushed to the side of the track, as of Dec 31. It's well worth the hike to see.

This year, hubby and I have taken up geocaching. It's like an easter egg hunt, with a GPS unit. A great way to find nice little parks and long, hidden trails, that would otherwise have gone undiscovered.