Monday, December 11, 2006

Kali Drive fiasco..

A summary of the development fight can be found here:

http://www.carrolltowneunited.org/history.html

it goes way back (over ten years) but basically it is a fight over a planned rental townhouse development between Liberty Road, Ridge Road, and Kali Drive. The basic problem here is that there has been no real planning of the development of Elderburg AND there has been no active community voice in the government. Two community groups have sprung up partly due to the Kali development fight.... both have had limited success..

Carrolltowne United

Freedom Area Citizen’s Council (FACC)

Currently, the developer (SDC) is only days/weeks away from breaking ground. All legal challenges have been over-ruled.

****My personal opinion on this development is neutral. I would rather see retail or mixed use development in this area, however, doesn’t see the dire consequences that the opponents of the development fear. This does show the need for a concerted review (planning and zoning) of the future of Eldersburg and Liberty Road. ****

What do we want to future of Eldersburg to be? Do we want/need a town center or should we continue to center development along Liberty Road?

On a side note, I attended an info session for the proposed re-development of downtown Columbia and heard the following statement.

"Columbia is turning into a suburb of Washington DC and Eldersburg is turning into a suburb of Columbia."

IS THIS TRUE??

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eldersburg is a suburb of Baltimore & DC. Columbia is an indirect consequence. Where are most of the cars going? Take a look at I-70 & Rt 32. Believe it or not, Liberty Road eastbound hasn't gotten much worse over the years so folks ain't flocking to the north side of the beltway. JMO.

Anonymous said...

I don't know where all the cars are headed, but I know there are tons more on Marriottsville/70/29/100 than there used to be. A commute that used to take 30-35 minutes now takes 45-50, sometimes over an hour. Columbia is just an annoyance along the way. I didn't realize the people down there even admit we exist. I would think (and hope) we're too Republican and conservative for their tastes.

Eldersburg1976 said...

Well, I work in Columbia so maybe am tuned into dynamics between the two areas. Ask me a question about the traffic to Westminster and I'd be clueless.

Eldersburg1976 said...

Takes me about 25 mins to travel from Ridge Road to Route 175 in Columbia in the morning and 35 mins to do the reverse commute in the evening. The only real area I worry about is the area where Route 100 hits Route 29. I do leave pretty early in the morning so probably miss some of the heavier traffic.