Thursday, March 29, 2007

Overcrowded/obsolete schools.....

Drive by Carrolltowne Elementary school and you’ll see a line of “temporary” classrooms… AKA trailers next to the building… The trailers have been there for years… even after a recent expansion project that added classrooms for Kindergarten.

This article posted in the sun highlights some of the long, recurring problems at the school…..

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/carroll/bal-ca.carrolltowne25mar25,0,6053806.story?coll=bal-local-carroll

--------------------

Commissioner Michael D. Zimmer, whose daughter attends Carrolltowne Elementary, said the expensive renovation project is not a priority. But he wants to build security doors to internally lock down the school's open suites, in case of an intruder or fire. "This was an educational fad 30 years ago, so we have to deal with it," Zimmer said. "But the doors, or lack thereof, give me heartburn."

"You don't see open-space classrooms being built anymore, and it's with good reason. We need to fix those classrooms still in existence."

--------------------

Open classrooms… it was a FAD in the early-mid 80’s when I was in elementary school. In fact, most elementary schools in my area where converted from “Open Classrooms” to standard/traditional (with walls) while I was in 3rd and 4th grade. Is Carroll County so behind the time that it has taken us 20 years to move beyond this failed experiment??

We must do better…..

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a daughter in fourth grade at Carrolltowne and her experience has been positive.

She took a little time to adjust from a closed school to an open air school when we moved this summer but she has adapted and is doing well.

While I agree with some of what the other parents are saying regarding the potential for distraction etc, I think that the most important factor in the education of the kids at Carrolltowne is the quality of the teachers and curriculum and my experience so far is that both are top notch.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree 100%. I have a 2nd grader and a 4th grader in Carrolltowne. The open system, while not currently used as it was originally designed, still allows for creative interaction between the "classrooms", especially around special occassions and holidays. This social interaction I think is part of why Carrolltowne Elementary is one of the top performing schools in the county, and the quality of the teachers just cements that fact. While security doors may be of concern for each suite, the building of walls only manages to shut our children off from each other, and effectively "box them in" - conveying a message that if not explained properly, can cause serious social development issues in later down the road.

Eldersburg1976 said...

Interesting... have only heard one side of the open classroom debate until these two comments... as schools have moved away from open classrooms.. i figured it was a dead issue...

I think it is a safe assumption that the most important factor in the success or failure of a school is the teachers.

Thanks for the comments..

Anonymous said...

I believe teachers play an extremely important part in the success or failure of a school, but I believe that up through and including the 12 grade, parents play the most important part because of their interest or lack of interest in the schools and their children.

Eldersburg1976 said...

Agreed!!

Anonymous said...

I have 3 kids at Carrolltowne and the open rooms have never really been a problem or distraction as far as we can tell. I understand all the concerns about "locking down" each room, but I have always been personally more concerned with the security of the kids in the trailers out front.

Anonymous said...

You made some good points there. I did a search on the topic and found most people will agree with your blog.

Anonymous said...

hi fellas. I'm really into shoes and I was looking for that exact model. The prices for the boots were all over 230 bucks on every page. But definitively I set this location selling them as a remedy for half price. I absolutely like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly buy them. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

hi there fellas. I'm actually into shoes and I have been searching for that exact model. The prices seeking the velcros were about 170 pounds everwhere. But definitively I found this locate selling them as a remedy for half price. I in reality love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely buy them. what can you say about it?

Anonymous said...

58788.....16039